Sunday, March 12, 2006

Cath's Marching.........Maybe.....

Partly Cloudy - Hi 76 Lo 50 for Baghdad, Iraq
Rain - Hi 68 Lo 52 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week:
Ants Marching, Dave Matthews Band

Bonus Saturday Song: Saturday in the Park, Chicago

I have been in a rut and I have no one to blame but myself.

My job is out of control. Without going into too much detail I love my job, I love my customers, I love a small group of people that I refer to as my safety net in our corporate location as well as in our manufacturing plants. OK---a little more detail....I'm in military sales- I get completely geeked out on the product I sell and where it is used... if you only knew... you'd think... good freakin' grief woman... get a freakin' life! The joint is hoppin'... I get to speak to guys on the front lines as well as the big military contractors for immediate needs as well as long term DOD budgeted projects. Long term budgets are being cut to fund the immediate needs of the war- not a good thing...
For those that know me.... this job has my name written all over it... so why the whining?? I hate the politics in today's corporate environment. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it!!!! I have only been with this company for 5 years and I have been witness to mediocrity, laziness, and apathy. Prior to my current job, I was with another company for 10 years... where I worked my way up through the ranks. I loved that job too, but became overwhelmed by the politics there as well... until I could no longer stand it. At that time I made the conscious decision that a career was no longer critical to my well being and self identity. My objective at my current job is to keep it separate from my personal life and to collect 26 paychecks a year. I am a classic Type A personality and that creates all kinds of heartache and grief, not to mention the fact that I was raised by a woman that worked 18 - 20 hours 7 days a week while my brother and I grew up. Some of that was bound to rub off.... and it did... my brother is a nutcase Type A too for another big corporation...his personal drive has him overseeing a number of plants in the U.S., Mexico, and China. This is what he and I have in common.... 1) hard working 2) efficient 3) loyal 4) honest and integrity 5) self motivated and self disciplined 6) and an intense dislike for laziness---- slackers annoy the crap out of me.... 7) he and I buy all the crap and strive to put it into motion. --I.E. Lean, Six Sigma 8) and Cath just loves a cool flow chart....

Now, although I have brought some balance to my life, the driving force that is me can not change the way I do a job. I'm still passionate and hell bent on doing an outstanding job and I must make a concerted effort to not bring the job home with me.... The annoyances are severe and causes me mental frustration and then subsequently manifests in physical illness. It is unclear whether the issues I face are long term or strictly temporary.
I have had a couple of people tell me about some positions that are right up my alley- at least on paper. I also have an open invitation to return to my old company.

So I have a decision to make. Do I stay and figure out what I need to do to make my life at work tolerable despite the many inefficiencies I see and continue to witness the political posturing that makes me crazy? Or do I go elsewhere and start all over again running the risk of the grass not being greener... I spoke to my brother at length this weekend and Michael will support any decision I make. Terry gently reminded me that I really need to be think this completely through. Let's face it, starting a new job can be just as trying as enduring the pain and suffering of a current position. I have been working on my pros and cons list. I have not updated my resume in five years (BAD GIRL- but see number 3... despite the lack of reciprocal loyalty in today's corporate environment, I still find myself toeing the corporate line.) My brother also gently reminded me I'm at "that" age. When you are 40 (+/-2 years) you really need to get to the job and company you want to retire from... Gender and race are irrelevant if you are 45+ when trying to locate a new job... If you are 50, it doesn't matter whether you are male or female, black or white.... you, my friend, are damaged goods and are set in your antiquated ways.... besides... you requirements for salary and vacation...are completely unrealistic and unreasonable when compared to say a 25 year old. Ah, but I have experience!! Yeah, but most of the time that doesn't matter anymore... just quit your whining and refer to the bloody flow chart and get back to work....


**Take a test to see if you are a Type A Personality.

My Test Results
Personality Type A
Your score = 91 out of 100

"You seem to have a Type A personality. Type A personality is characterized by an exaggerated sense of time urgency, competitiveness, anger and hostility. People who share certain characteristics with you are often concerned with the acquisition of objects and generally dissatisfied with the world, including oneself. You don't know how and when to relax. People probably get tense around you, and they tend to feel threatened in your presence. Continuous stress and allowing unexpressed feelings to pile up are not good for your health. You should start learning how to relax, to let go, and enjoy life. Work on your communication skills. Try to take it easy and be lazy sometimes. It might be hard and it would take some effort, but you certainly know how to pick up a challenge.
"


**posters courtesy of Despair. Click on images to enlarge.

Housekeeping:

I cleaned the house.... bully for me. I got a couple of art projects completed. I have the skeleton set up for a new blog that Michael, Rob and I are thinking about doing jointly... Did nothing here on my blog... Spring is everywhere.... (except at work...)

Blogs and Links to Check Out This Week:
  • The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns - Everyone knows this woman and if you don't- ya gotta check her out. Funny and cutting... I've been visiting her for a long time... not sure why I never put her on my blogroll.... That's been rectified.... I'm on her random blogroll... is that a good thing?
  • Visit Mark My Shots for beautiful photography.
  • Michael and I make a couple of visits a year down to Maysville, KY. It is a beautiful old rivertown with a wonderful history... Maysville was a key to the Underground Railroad... Maysville Kentucky Blog. George Clooney is from the next town over, Augusta--- despite his good looks, we are all sooooooooooo (seething with sarcasm) proud... Why does he have to continually open his mouth? Why?

Military Blogs:

  • Akinoluna is making her way back to the states. Here posts have been fun to read. As her tagline reads..."No gritty battle stories here, somebody's gotta do the paperwork for this war"
  • Daisy Cutter - Culture, National Security, Liberty - A Marine....
  • My favorite Marine blogger in Iraq was Capt B from One Marine's View. He is home... as you saw my link from yesterday. His posts were heartfelt and they were graphic. But it gave us an opportunity to see things from his perspective and why we should be there. I will miss him. Stop by his sight and drop him a note of thanks.

And all the little ants are marching
Red and black antennas waving
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way

Have a great week everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Picasso said "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
He must have been a type A of some sort don't you think?

Lone Ranger said...

Welcome to upper management. I stopped testing for promotion when I reached a certain rank in the military. Not only did I hate the politics of the upper ranks, I never met anyone of that rank whom I liked. Simply, I didn't want the lobotomy that went with the job. In my second career, I've chosen a position that pays well but in which I can keep my head down and ignore office politics.

Cathy said...

Sal: Thanks for the quote and thanks for stopping by. I enjoy your blog immensely-- which reminds me... I've been meaning to add you to my blogroll. I'll make it up to ya!

Kimosabe: You know...I could work for you. As a Type A, I'm always seeking the approval of an authority figure... I see you as the all great and powerful Oz.... Ya need a Girl Friday?

Anonymous said...

Good post. I'm 44 in a job disappearing in a couple of years - so fear factor definitely in play. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. Circumstances buffet you around. Inasmuch as you have choice, at least you're thinking it through.

Cathy said...

Thanks Mark. Good to know I'm not alone.