Sunday, April 13, 2008

25 Years...

Sunny - Hi 96 Lo 72 for Baghdad, Iraq
Partly Cloudy - Hi 82 Lo 56 for Qandahar, Afghanistan
Cloudy & Rain - Hi 42 Lo 31 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: Fear Is Never Boring, The Raisins

Ah... this song... it takes me back 25 years.... I was a senior in high school and we were counting down the days until graduation.... If you lived in the Cincinnati area in 1983, 1984, or 1985 you heard this song... a lot on local radio. The band, The Raisins were (& still are) talented guys. This album was produced by their pal and Covington, Kentucky hometown boy Adrian Belew... who I loved... I fell in love with him when he was doing work with The Talking Heads... Anyway... this song... has been going through my head for weeks. I was disappointed that this album is out of print and The Raisins subsequent reincarnations such as The Bears or most recently Pschodots also out of print... I loaned the album to Rodney years ago and that was that. Now, I can get a used CD for $56.00 on Amazon... nah... so I was pleasantly surprised to find this video on You Tube. I can't remember where I saw this video... as an art student, we critqued the heck out of all the cliches, but liked the video for it's campiness. The melody is catchy and quite danceable... The opening lyrics a little disturbing... but parents didn't seem to mind... they were more concerned by the backwards masking... which was a huge deal when I was in high school. This song, this band brings back all kinds of memories... way too much fun... way too much indulgence... way too dumb... fear is never boring... I'm surprised we survived our teen years...

25 years... good grief...


Mama’s little baby likes fear and torture
Mama’s little darling likes violent sex
She thinks she’s queen victoria
Ridin’ the pony express

Oh no trouble now
Are your nerves failing
Don’t come unglued
If your heart skips a beat
Stay on your feet
Don’t throw that moment away

No no no no no no no yeah
Feeling good ain’t bein’ happy
No no no no no no no yes
Taking care ain’t being there
I’m out on a limb where the fun begins
Fear is never boring

I think I see a spark
Hear voices in the dark
They tell me don’t lose heart
Stiff upper lip
Stick to your guns
Don’t let ’er rip
Don’t throw that moment away

With consciousness barely floating
The slippery curve is approaching
My whole life flashed before I crashed
Fear is never boring

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: