Sunday, July 31, 2005

Strength through Family

Sunny Hi 117 Lo 88 for Baghdad, Iraq
Sunny Hi 90 Lo 68 for NKY, USA

Song of the week: Let your Soul Be Your Pilot, Sting

Tonight, I was a fortunate to witness a family in action to support one of their own.

The scene: a church basement where spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and homemade desserts were served for a modest price. Pink and white balloons adorned the tables. Off in the corner are three long tables where gift baskets of all shapes and sizes, envelopes with gift certificates, extension cords and a grand raffle prize of a plasma television can be seen. All items donated by caring corporations and private citizens (and family) alike.

The players: A woman with a beautiful smile wearing a hat, a large family-- Yeager is the name... Their extended family... And friends... (please note: a Yeager can be easily identified--- they are freakin' tall...Must be the water...Side note, if you ever come to Kentucky, take note of how tall these natives are... I'm serious... These folks are TALL!!)

A benefit dinner was held to raise money for Susan, the woman with the lovely smile and hat. She is battling breast and bone cancer... I am amazed at the strength she has, the courage and grace by which she is dealing with this. OK...Lets take a moment to point out how moronic I am... Here is my stupid moment of the night. I walk up to Susan... and because I lack social graces... I say, "So, how you doin?" Susan replies with a smile, "I'm good. I'm doing ok." OK, Susan... if I may be so bold, what you should have said, "Well, Cath... not that you are being a dumba$$ or anything, but I have cancer... how the hell do you think I'm doin'?" Sometimes I am such an idiot...

OK. Back to the scene and the point I'm trying to make....
Watching the scene unfold was enjoyable. Susan's family ran a great benefit dinner. In the kitchen, Gregg (Susan's husband) was leading other members of the family in running a perfect assembly line. To the bystander who knows nothing about cooking (me), they didn't even break a sweat. From what I observed no one had to wait. From the kitchen line you went to the drink line where you were served efficiently by a group of young girls, ok... pre-teens (one being my niece) all doing a marvelous job of providing smiles, ice and soda.... and then the dessert table... I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it... It was a beautiful thing... cakes, cookies, rice krispy treats, pie... all home made.... If my grandfather had gone tonight, he would have taken a photo of the table... Actually, I'm thinking he and I would have pulled up chairs to the dessert table...

Other family members were busy taking money at the door, selling raffle tickets, and clearing tables... basically making sure that everything was running smoothly and all the guests had everything they (we) needed.

Susan's son, Tommy had the role of DJ and Master of Ceremonies... He called out all the raffle ticket winners... Who the hell provided extension cords? Who thought that was a good idea? Oh, wait... that was me... another story...

The scene was heartwarming... I saw some folks I hadn't seen in a long time, but because I am shy (some call it anti-social tendencies), I become more of an observer and then in turn reflect on my own thoughts. So here goes... Susan, I hope I don't blow this...

The hand that Susan has been dealt in the simplest terms suck, but from outward appearances, she has a positive outlook. She has a family that loves her and will rally to support her in anyway they can. Cancer is such an awful thing!! Why does this happen to a decent person? Why does she have to go through this? It makes those around the person suffering feel helpless. So, we put our faith in doctors-- We trust they will do the right things, provide the right treatments needed to make the cancer go away. Susan's family wants to take this cancer away from her. If they could, they would remove it, but since they can't remove the cancer having this benefit gave those that love Susan an opportunity to physically do something to help her. Taking action is critical for those who feel helpless. Does that make sense? People need to do something positive. From my observations, this family is strong. They get their strength from each other... So, Susan will fight this cancer and go about her life. She will have the prayers of those that were with her tonight. She WILL beat this!

So, the song on the blog this week is dedicated to you, Susan. I hope you like Sting... Susie and I will have Cosmopolitans waiting... just give us the word... In the meantime, keep a positive attitude, know that you have the prayers of countless people, mine included. Your family and friends love you very much and want you to get better. Watch funny movies, dance, sing loudly and do things that make you laugh, stay busy, and always rely on your family for support. Now go kick some cancer a$$!!

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

Thanks to Nickie Goomba I have discovered this blogger from Milan, Italy...He has recently started publishing in English, but I found it fun to just try and read through the Italian, not that I understood any of it.... Here is a friend indeed...Go visit Otimaster. There are people everywhere that are lovers of freedom and liberty. Besides, I love the way Sunday Morning Coffee translates... Say it out loud.... "Caffe di Mattina di Domenica". Makes ya want another cup, huh?


A special note--- One of the first blogs that became a regular haunt for me was The Therapist. The reason this blog is on my top 5 list is for the simple fact that Ron G. is so stinkin' funny. His wit, his ability to write well, and his sense of humor are second to none. Sadly, the Therapist lost his father this past week. So many folks that read blogs and keep blogs have been touched by Ron G. because he has touched us--made us laugh--- friend and foe alike. And it is because he has this wonderful gift, we ache for him. I pray that God comforts him during this time of sadness and in time heals his heart. When I first read Ron G.'s blog and learned of his father's illness and subsequent passing-- The song "Make 'Em Laugh" came to mind... not sure why... maybe because it is really a bittersweet song... (Donald O'Connor sang it in Singin' in the Rain.)

Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh.
Don't you know everyone wants to laugh.
My dad said, "Be an actor, my son,
But be a comical one."
They'll be standin' in lines
For those old honky tonk monkeyshines.
Or you could study Shakespeare and be quite elite,
And you charm the critics and have nothin' to eat.
Just slip on a banana peel, the world's at your feet.
Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh.

music by Nacio Herb Brown; lyrics by Arthur Freed

Blog of the week: The Policeman's Blog A perspective from an English cop... I think you'll enjoy this chap.

This is a great story about a talented young man who has served his country and is now pursuing his dream. Go visit Luke Stricklin. Thanks Marti for passing this along. Buy his album.

Have a great week everyone. I am energized by knowing that one of the reasons this country is second to none is due to the fact that we all are chasing the American dream and doing it with the help and strength of family...

One note.... I blew it. I didn't get a pic of Susan....




Earlier in the day, Michael and I went to Dinsmore State Park. Posted by Picasa


Serenity now! Posted by Picasa


butterfly Posted by Picasa


Shauna Posted by Picasa


Ed selling raffle tickets Posted by Picasa


Aunt Belle selling dinner tickets Posted by Picasa


Susie modeling the latest fashion... Posted by Picasa


Michael D is unhappy with the raffle ticket number that was just called Posted by Picasa


Tommy announcing the next winner, while Sam waits to draw the next ticket Posted by Picasa


This is what I wanted.... The Creative Memories scrapbooking bag and stuff!!! Posted by Picasa


Noah taking charge of the table center pieces Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Il caffè di Domenica mattina" is the corrected translation friend of mine, thanks for the spot...please an other cup of caffe for me : ))
Now I will read yours post slowly in order to understand it well, I love to know what happens in America.
God bless you, your family, your friends and the United States.

Doofus said...

Thank you for those kind words.

Ron