Sunday, May 27, 2007

Letters Home

Partly Cloudy - Hi 111 Lo 85 for Baghdad, Iraq
Isolated Thunderstorms - Hi 85 Lo 65 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: You Raise Me Up,
Josh Groban

Ramble:


In preparing for my Sunday post I read through various speeches- from our forefathers to President Bush. I kept finding my way back to President Reagan. His words are just as moving today as when he first spoke them. However, I wanted this Memorial Day post to be a little more personal so I went up to our loft and spent a good portion of the afternoon pouring over old letters that were saved by my Great Great Aunt Ethel.

My Aunt Ethel was the record keeper in the family. I received a birthday card and two dollars in the mail every single year up to her death. I was special as were all her nieces and nephews. It is my understanding that she had fallen in love once, but he broke her heart, so she never married. My grandmother has given me most of the photos from Aunt Ethel's collection and being the record keeper that she was, all the photos have first and last names, dates and the relationship of the person in the photo to the individual she gave the photo to.

This is a photo of my Great Great Great Grandfather. (click on images for a larger view)
I know this because---
Anyway, you get the point. She kept everything that was important- letters, photos, newspaper clippings, birth certificates and death notices- she was incredibly organized, fastidious, detail driven woman. She took an old roll of wall paper and mapped out our family tree... pretty ingenious if you ask me. I have her to thank for the letters below. The black marks are the last names of my family that I have blacked out on the photo copies I made to do this post- the originals are in tact with all her notes. Aunt Ethel even put last names on letters-- knowing (or at least hopeful) that someone in the family would want to know.

My Uncle Charlie passed away this past November and I posted about it him here. He did two tours of duty in Vietnam. He loved this country and never stopped fighting for her. Never. He loved the Corp. just as much as this country. He was a Marine his entire life- even when they made him retire. (click on images to enlarge and read)


My Uncle Steve (19 years old) and "Janis"





This letter cracks me up because Uncle Steve hates winter... he lives in Las Vegas now... Uncle Steve also retired from the Marines. As my memory serves me he left the Marines back in the early 80's and went to work for the railroad... found that he didn't like it and went back to the Corp. He retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant.

A few thoughts...


I think we miss out on a lot because we don't write letters- email is great, but there is something to be said about receiving a handwritten letter- to recognize the handwriting of the envelope and anticipate what will be found inside. A letter takes more thought and are to be cherished. Most email ends up being deleted. Having spent the afternoon reading through family letters of those now no longer with us... it was as if they came back to life. I could hear their voices again.


A special thank you this Memorial Day to all the military bloggers I have gotten to know. You are so important. Keep writing. Keep telling your story. It is important and a way to document for your family and generations to come.


Friends of ours have a son that on May 19 graduated from high school. On the 24th he was headed to Fort Benning. Patrick's goal is to be an Airborne Ranger attached to the 101st. I can not tell you how proud I am. No... he isn't joining the Marines ;-), No... he isn't my son... No... I don't even know him that well... However, I do know that to volunteer to serve our country during a time of war is quite courageous and quite humbling for me. I thank God every single day for men like him. I pray that God keeps him safe.


We live in such an amazing country. I am so grateful to the men and women we will remember tomorrow. I am so grateful to those that serve presently. I am so thankful to the families of those that serve. I think a powerful way to remember those that served our nation is to thank those presently serving. Maybe you know a mom or dad of someone presently serving- write a letter and give it to mom or dad to be delivered in their next care package. Maybe you have to pick up a loved one at the airport... our servicemen are easy to pick out in a crowd... the high and tight haircut on a young man or the tightly coiffed ponytail on a young woman is an easy giveaway- a simple gesture of a handshake and two simple words- Thank you will make the difference...


Thank you.


Thank you.


You do raise me up.


You Raise Me Up, Music and Lyrics by Rolf Lovland & Brendan Graham

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up: To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up: To more than I can be.

There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up: To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up: To more than I can be.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: