Sunday, November 19, 2006

Feel Good

Sunny - Hi 70 Lo 48 for Baghdad, Iraq
Cloudy - Hi 43 Lo 32 for Northern KY, USA

Song of the week: Kind and Generous,
Natalie Merchant

Ramble:

Although it's early, I think I have a touch of the winter blues... this is my favorite time of year, so I'm insisting that I "get over it"... I read my post from last Thanksgiving and it holds pretty true today--- the list of all the things I am grateful for can be read here.

As an update to last year's post, here is a link to YouTube and a video by Hem called Red Wing... the band I mentioned... The video is mediocre, but I love the melody and lyrics to this song and because I can't link or post YouTube on this blog... have no idea why... I can't see them on other blogs either... but I digress...

So as I was saying, I need to get over this case of the blues... what to do... what to do... I know... time for a movie list... but what...??

Well... in memory of Mike B, I watched the Ohio State vs Michigan game yesterday. How much fun was that game? It has been a long long time since I watched college football... Some of my pals down in New Orleans and Baton Rouge find me to be a sick woman since they are diehard LSU fans...and basically I could give a rat's behind... When I was last down there back in April I had made an off color comment about LSU... you know... teasing them... I actually feared for my life for a second... I guess I should know better, because one can not say a cross word about UK basketball. Good gosh... So, it finally occurred to me that there is something to be said about the challenge athletic sport brings.

Sport is where an entire life can be compressed into a few hours, where the emotions of a lifetime can be felt on an acre or two of ground, where a person can suffer and die and rise again on six miles of trails through a New York City park. Sport is a theater where sinner can turn saint and a common man become an uncommon hero, where the past and the future can fuse with the present. Sport is singularly able to give us peak experiences where we feel completely one with the world and transcend all conflicts as we finally become our own potential. ~George A. Sheehan

or

The finish line is sometimes merely the symbol of victory. All sorts of personal triumphs take place before that point, and the outcome of the race may actually be decided long before the end. ~Laurence Malone

or

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure. ~Colin Powell

So without any further delay- Here is my list of

Feel Good Sports Movies

National Velvet, 1944. Horseracing. Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney. This movie takes me back to Sunday afternoons watching all the old classics on local tv. (when there were only 3 channels). I was quite certain that I was Velvet Brown or at least in my imagination I was.



movie trailer

Breaking Away, 1979. Bicycling. Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern. Four friends have graduated high school-- one has dreams of racing his bike--Viva Italia!! One of my favorites and one I don't have on DVD....



movie trailer


A League of Their Own, 1992. Baseball. Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Jon Lovitz and some moonbats I won't mention... but I know you know who they are... There is something about movies that have baseball as the backdrop. "There's no crying in baseball!"

movie trailer




Hoosiers, 1986. Basketball. Gene Hackman, Dennis Hopper. A small town high school basketball team makes it to the Indiana state championship. This is one of my favorite kind of plotlines... you'll see it pretty much in the rest of my picks... Despite being the underdog and carrying a lot of baggage, through perseverance, hard work and dedication, the impossible is achieved.

movie trailer


Rudy, 1993. Football. Sean Astin, Ned Beatty. One of the most inspiring true stories... a kid with average grades with less than average athletic ability and half the size of the other men on the Notre Dame football team doesn't have a chance of playing for the team he loves... However, he has more heart and love for the game and the team than anyone else... Determination and perseverance triumph. One of my favorites and another one I don't have on DVD.

movie trailer

Miracle, 2004. Ice Hockey.Kurt Russell. Do you remember the 1980 Olympics? What an inspiration... Remember this was during the Cold War... and the very real fear of the Soviet Union. Again-- the underdog--a bunch of college kids facing the best of the best-- professionals on the ice rink... with guts and determination... we beat the Russians... "Do you believe in miracles??"

movie trailer


The Pride of the Yankees, 1942. Baseball. Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright, Walter Brennan, Babe Ruth. The story of Lou Gehrig is inspirational. This is the man that played two thousand one hundred and thirty consecutive games.

Another one I don't have on DVD...




Field of Dreams, 1989. Baseball. Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta, Amy Madigan. Less about baseball, more about connecting with those you love... "If you build it, he will come."

movie trailer





Remember the Titans, 2000. Football. Denzel Washington. In the early 70's segregation was still very much a reality in schools--bussing.. I remember watching that on the local news. In 1971, one such school was integrated in Virginia. This is the story of a football coach and the challenge he faces of molding a team of young men separated by prejudice. "I don't care if you like each other, but you will respect each other."

movie trailer

The World's Fastest Indian, 2005. Motorcycling. Sir Anthony Hopkins. This is a superb movie. If you have never seen it, please rent it. This follows the story of New Zealander, Burt Munro- a self taught engineer. He rebuilt an Indian Motorcyle and set a land speed record in 1967 that still stands at the Bonneville Salt Flats. This was a labor of love for director, Roger Donaldson. The DVD includes a documentary that Donaldson did on the real Munro. Not only is this one of the best feel good movies, it is also one of the best journey movies ever.

movie trailer

Seabiscuit, 2003 Horseracing. Jeff Bridges, Tobey Maguire, Chris Cooper, Elizabeth Banks, & William H. Macy. This is the quintessential story of the underdog becoming the victor. Set in depression era America, the rag tag team of 3 lost men finding hope and a reason for living because of a small horse with heart bring hope to an entire nation when it was so desperately needed.
I must tell you-- READ THE BOOK. The author, Laura Hillenbrand is so passionate about this story-Her research impeccable. The movie is wonderful, but the book captures so much more and the journey that each man took.. the story of Seabiscuit is truly an inspirational story.

movie trailer

Yes, there are others... The Rookie, Radio, The Natural, Chariot's of Fire... what else did I miss?
I think it worked... I feel better just having thought about these movies...

Blogs and Links to Check Out This Week:


Check me out this week--- go to the sidebar and look at my other movie lists.

Housekeeping:

Where did that "free layouts" come from in the upper right hand corner??? I didn't put it there...

Also, when I go to other blogs, why can't I play YouTube videos? AND why can't I put them on my blog?? HMMMM???

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: