Friday, January 19, 2007

The Mamas and the Papas - Denny Doherty

** I * love * pop * music * from * the * 60's. **

On my drive home from work this evening I heard that Denny Doherty from the Mamas and the Papas passed away. As a little girl, I remember their songs coming on the radio and my mom singing with a very thick accent, "Monday Monday". Good stuff, ya know? I have always had a secret fascination (not so secret to those that know me I suppose) with the Mamas and the Papas... Yes, they were a bunch of hippies, yes they lived the free love, drug induced lifestyle... and sadly John Phillips cut his career short because of his drug addiction. But in those 3 very short years that the Mamas and the Papas were together, they created something special. The songs will live on in the beautiful harmonies they created. Their music always seems to warm my soul when I feel myself getting cynical. So, click play and tip a glass in memory of Denny.

Dedicated to the One I Love



California Dreamin'

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of hippies, here is a video that shows that hippies still know how to have fun dispite all their time spent at protests:

http://peoplegeek.wordpress.com/2007/01/20/a-bike-race-lance-armstrong-could-not-win/

Anonymous said...

I have always LOVED California Dreamin'. I can remember playing my uncle's Mama's and Papa's record to hear California Dreamin' over and over and over and over...

Cathy said...

Me too, DL. Me too.